I was shocked to read that folks are getting anywhere from 5-12 days of food into a bear can! I'm planning a multi-month trip, with monthly resuppy, and until just a few minutes ago, I had been planning to use a Bear Vault 500. Now, after reading the thread about actual bear threats experienced by members here, i'm planning on using the PCT stuff sack method. But I figured that I could get a month's worth of food into it, 'cause it will be all dry grains and legumes and raisins. I plan to supplement my diet by foraging for natural food stuffs, and by sprouting a variety of the dry goods, like alfalfa seeds, mung beans, lentils, etc. I'll rough grind the beans that I'll cook, and I ought to have a fairly interesting and varied diet. I may have to learn how to track bears so I can find their berry bushes. Kidding! I'll be using some kind of woodgas stove for my primary, maybe the Bushbuddy Ultra, with a Vargo Triad as backup. This trip is going to be relaxed, possibly a meandering exploration of the earth, with no goal except to enjoy myself. I'm starting up here in NE New York, and I have no idea yet where I'm going. Maybe Maine first. It's not about the destination, it's about the going. Anyway, I thought I could feed a platoon for a week out of a bear can! But then, my meals are not prepared. I'll be carrying staples and making meals "out there". I made a pile of 9 pounds of brown rice, chick peas, mung beans, lentils, black beans, northern beans, alfalfa seeds, split peas, and French lentils on my coffee table, and measured the dimensions of the stacked pile, and it came to 270 cubic inches. I figured I could get at least 15 pounds in the can, plus my coffee, toothpaste, oatmeal, raisins, and meds, and that would be enough, with local augmentation, to feed the platoon for a week. If they don't come, I ought to be able to eat for the month on all those dry goods. Time will tell. I've never packed just staples before. I've always bought those expensive freeze-dried meals (which are awful, by the way). But I'm determined to become Mr. Natural, and stay out of the city. Plus I'd like to see the USA first hand. I'll have to go southward when it turns cold, to find veggies and fruits. And to not freeze. Adventure! Hey, I'm retired and widowed, I'm entitled to livin the sweet life. Luckily, I love sitting in front of a wood fire, and I love to cook. It's a great way to pass the time, isn't it? Maybe I'll make some wild friends in the process.