Next week I will go to Wyoming (from N.Cal) to spend 2 1/2 months backpacking. I did this two years ago and learned some lessons. I thought some might be interested in my planning process.

I have 10 separate trips planned, varying from 2-days to 11-days. I have figured out 2-3 different routes for each trip - usually a shorter version and a reverse loop version. This gives me some flexibility if I get behind schedule. Sometimes simply doing the route in reverse solves some issues with too long or hard a first day. I try to keep my early miles on trails and save the challenging off-trial stuff for later when my pack is lighter. For each trip, I have one gallon size zip-lock bag with all the maps I will need and print-outs of the trip options.

I have used Google Maps to view each route and have tentative route lines drawn on my set of field maps, based on the satallite photos. This is especially helpful in off-trail travel to avoid bushwhaking.

I have made a master schedule with several permutations of the order that I could do the trips. I color coded each trip based on priority. I expect to have to drop a few of the low priority trips due to weather or getting behind schedule. I also expect that early snow conditions will dictate my schedule. My family at home also have this schedule and I call them every time I get out of a trip and let them know of changes I make. I have one mid-season 11-day trip where others will join me. This is my "set in stone" trip. With all others I can be flexible.

This time I am taking two large coolers with 8 trips worth of non-perishable food already trail-packed and put into 2-day, 5-day, 6-day, 7-day and 11-day sets. In each bag I have a print-out of what is in it, and a grocery list of what I need to buy. Last trip I depended on buying at local stores and found that the tiny stores just did not have what I needed. There are no Trader-Joes or Whole Foods in small towns in Wyoming! I am lucky to have friends in Lander, so this is my "base". The first thing I will do is drop off extra supplies and store them in a friends cool basement. I am hesitent to store food for two months in my car at trailheads. I will have to buy food for the last two trips - not sure I will even get to do this due to weather. I have two bear cannisters that I will store the food that I take with me in my car. I can set these outside the car at the trialheads where they will stay cooler.

I have also made little packets of items that are used on each trip - gas cannister, toothpaste, wipes, sunscreen. I also have some extra first-aid supplies and repair items ready to go if needed, and a few extra water bottles, an extra stove, and extra shoes.

I have selected and packed 4 sets of clothing that will need washing. This way I can avoid having to find a laundromat after each trip. I have put these in Eagle Creek cubes. I have print-outs of gear lists for each trip - sort of a check off list. I also have a master list with the weights of all my items so that I can mix and match if needed with full knowledge of what this will do to my total pack weight.

I have made a map of all the miles I will drive. It shows the highways, secondary roads and trailhead roads. Each segment has estimated drive-time as well as miles. Because I have an old car, and limited finances and time, I have been very careful about minimizing drives. Thus, I am basically first doing trips close to Lander, then will drive to Pinedale to do the west side trips. I have researched and listed services in each town - where to get a shower, motels, eats, wi-fi etc. For me, it is important to know where the auto repair shops are!

Because some trailheads are remote, I always carry about 4 days extra food in my car, 4 gallon of potable water, jumper cables.

I am taking a spare shoes, pack, tent and sleeping pad. These are items that could break and I would hate to have to buy in a hurry from what is locally available. I also have a car-camping sleeping bag that in a pinch could be used.

The planning is a bit daunting, but nothing wastes time like putzing around town between trips trying to find stuff. Also, from a pyschological standpoint, having everything ready to go keeps me from excuses to delay "just one more day in town".

I realise that there are non-planner types who would never to this amount of pre-planning. To each his own. Just thought I would share a few of the things I did. I would love to hear what others do.