Originally Posted By runsmtns
I also have a pair of the BD Contour Carbons and they are fine poles.

However I recently bought a pair of Gossamer Gear Lite Trek 4's and they are far superior to any I have used. They are so light the swing weight is just amazing. I love the fake cork grips and they locking mech. has never failed. I have only had them for a couple months but have used them hard. A bit more expensive than many other but well worth it IMO.

Ed

+1

I post about my Lightrek 4s from time to time in other forums and usually am immediately dismissed because they don't have straps and "carbon fiber snaps easy" - what no one seems to understand, and rightly so because they haven't tried them, is that a pole that weighs 3.5 oz feels a LOT different than even lightweight metal poles. I had some Komperdell poles that weighed 8 oz apiece and thought I had light poles; the GG poles feel like nothing, like an extension of my arm, and the twist locks are different than the Komperdells (which after a year of heavy use failed). I could not find parts or instructions or any way to get Komperdell to fix their twist locks; GG sends a little bag of parts with the poles, and I have no doubt based on my experience of their customer service that they would fix the poles for a small fee. (I recently sent back my Mariposa Plus to be retrofitted with the new aluminum stay; you tell me what major pack mfr would do this for twenty five bucks.)

So yes, I am totally sold on the GG poles, despite the lack of straps that I thought I would miss. I was one of those annoying people who insist the straps are necessary. Not anymore.

http://hikeandbackpack.com