I REALLY enjoy tarping- (when the bugs aren't too bad). I tried out a poncho tarp a couple times and found that it just didn't give me the room and protection I would have liked compared to a larger tarp. I'm not a large person, but I still like having room to spread out a little. I found even simple things like trying to change clothes, or unstuffing a quilt seem to require more room for me than a poncho tarp has to offer.

It's pretty tight in there if you have to 'batten down the hatches in severe weather!

You may find you'd prefer something the size of an 8x10 tarp. Still pretty lightweight, but more protection and lots more room.

For several years I used a simple 8x8 tarp, but that even left a lot to be desired for me. I would use a flying diamond setup in bad weather. I found it seemed a little short for when the weather was really bad though.

Then, I made a 10x10. That is a very versatile size! Lots of different ways to set up for great protection and room too.

I suggest you get out there with whatever shelter you may want to try- IN THE BAD WEATHER! See just how difficult or easy it would be to set up your shelter with the wind and blowing rain, and how it would be to get things set up under there, changing clothing, etc. You will get a good idea real quick if something can work out for YOU or not by testing it out under the worst conditions you possibly can.

While everyone likes to carry a lighter pack, only you can decide if the 'price' is worth it for YOU. It all depends on what your priorities are. Best to try things out first though either way.