Originally Posted By lori

I don't have to carry a gun - I'm not afraid. I don't want or need a holster or a gun. Period.

There are more guns in the town I live in than there are in your entire state, I would wager. Kids shoot other kids every day. I am far more likely to be in danger walking down the street than I am backpacking.

I think you overstate the fear factor - 90% of the people I know don't go backpacking or camping because they like hot showers and don't care to work that hard. They rent cabins or hotel rooms. The rest of the people I know go out hiking, unafraid, without guns.

that's nice that you are unafraid, but not everyone can be as confident in their ability to out-muscle the competition.
i'm from texas, so depending on what town you live in, there could be more guns. in my town, lots of people might be carrying guns- everyone conceal carries, and as such, the bad guys don't know who's a good target, and who isn't
but, I think the number of guns you see, and the way they're employed is probably influencing your view on guns. if you saw cars violently engaged in demolition derby type driving all day long, you probably wouldn't want them around either; the gun is a tool, and just because some people misuse them, that doesn't mean we should strip others of the right to have them.
i agree with you that lots of people don't camp because they don't want to work hard. but, there are some that don't go out of fear- and them having a gun on their persons in order to defend themselves wont affect you in any negative way, you won't even notice them.