Originally Posted By jehan

i think perhaps you are falling victim to the very fear that you described- you're afraid people who have little experience with camping will hurt wildlife and/or ruin your camping experience.
these people lack experience backpacking, but they make claims about backpacking

you lack experience with firearms, yet you make claims about firearms- you are concerned that people will use them irresponsibly.

I am concerned because people use *everything* irresponsibly.

I am concerned because people hang their food wrong, wash in the streams and leave their soap suds behind, dig catholes in the middle of established wilderness campgrounds, and while I expect you will likely not be among them, people use firearms extremely irresponsibly. I'm not even talking about criminals here. I am not a victim to fear, as many people who pack a gun they don't know how to use are - I am possessed of extensive experience with the depth and width of human shortsightedness and stupidity, as I have seen it in action. Perhaps my cynicism is excessive, but all people of every socioeconomic status do dumb stuff, including people who are licensed to carry. I almost feel that I should post most of my own family tree in this space as examples.

Quote:

as far as self defense, a large caliber hand gun will be the most effective tool to protect you from the boogey man. considerably easier to conceal, lighter weight, etc.

Only if I know how to use it and keep it in my hands at all times. Things happen very quickly and having a gun in my pack does nothing for me. Concealing it means it's not in my hand when a cougar jumps off the rock in front of me. I will continue to be prepared in other ways and leave the heavy metal objects to people who are blinded by their own self assurance. A gun is at its lightest when it is not on my person.

You may think guns are the best protection, but they are good protection only under certain circumstances, which you are not even showing signs of acknowledging. Jimshaw is right, you need to read the other threads about guns for a while and understand your audience better before posting pro-gun messages.

http://hikeandbackpack.com