Pika, I think you are right about the need for a state CCW, but the problem I see is how do you enforce the rule once people get the idea they can carry a weapon? Very few people in CA have such permits, but I am sure some people will either not be aware of that aspect of the rule, won't have a permit or have one from another state, which I don't think are valid in CA (could be wrong on that) or just ignore the rule as a "technicality" based on whatever the NRA tells them they can do.

Rules like these just encourage more firearms in the parks, which I think is a bad idea. I understand most people are law abiding, etc., but let's face it, this country is awash in firearms and gun violence is an everyday occurrence. Maybe you don't see it where you are, but in LA, people get shot every day, mostly for trivial reasons.

My other concern is that the NRA has promoted the idea that parks are dangerous and you need a gun on you at all times. That's how they got the law passed. This is nonsense, but it will encourage people who don't know any better to pull out a gun the first time they see a wild animal or hear a noise at night and start shooting at it because they think they are protecting themselves or their family.

I don't envision a shootout, but I do think we will see some dead or wounded bears and likely a kid or two get shot by someone who thinks they heard a bear.