Tom, if I understand correctly, concealed carry in a National Park is only permitted if one holds a concealed carry permit for the state in which the park is located. I don't know whether state concealed carry permit reciprocity rules will apply. For example, I have an Arizona CCW which is recognized by Texas; would Big Bend NP recognize my permit? I believe that the rules against open carry are still in effect. Since holders of concealed carry permits usually have to go through some sort of vetting process, I'm not too worried that the National Parks will suddenly be filled with gunslinger wannabes.

I don't like the ruling either, but, I suspect that the new regulation will have minimal effect. At its worst, the parks will be like the National Forests where concealed and open carry are already legal. If, sometime in the near future, there are a few shootouts in crowded NP campgrounds, I'm sure the ruling will be reexamined.

The legislation was attached to the new credit card company regulation bill by some of the NRA's pet Republicans. So Democrats who wanted to see the credit card companies brought to heel had to vote for the guns in parks bill.