Depends on what kind of alcohol you have in the hand sanitizer; mostly they use ethanol (grain alcohol).

Alcohols are a family of chemicals ranging from the simplest, methanol, to some of the solid alcohols that I think are used in Esbit. Methanol is often called "wood alcohol" and is often used to denature (render undrinkable) ethanol, the active ingredient in beer, wine and booze. The bottle of GermX I have in my hand now contains 62% ethanol. I don't know whether they use denatured ethanol in it or just use it straight; I would guess the latter as a way of avoiding potential product liability issues.

One-hundred proof whiskey is 50% ethanol and some of the more potent rums are 70-80% ethanol: Two proof points equal one percent. Most people don't seem to worry about getting whiskey and rum on their hands or on/in their internal plumbing yet it contains about the same amount of ethanol as GermX; or even more. Using good booze as a hand sanitizer seems, to me, to be a low use of a noble product but it would likely serve just as well as the gel. One risk of using a good single-malt on your hands would be encountering a yuppie bear with a taste for Glenfiddich shocked

I take a small bottle of isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) with me for hand sanitizing. I don't like the Purel or GermX products because they leave a flowery scent which makes me worry about being sexually harassed by bears. eek Isopropynol leaves no scent. Moreover, if you get tired of that natural aroma that rises when you lift your arms sick , applying a splash of slightly diluted rubbing alcohol will temporarily relieve the problem.

Edited by Pika (05/23/09 03:03 PM)