Like others have stated: everything smells like humans or something associated with humans. I put non-food items in my bear cannister as room is available, based on the importance of the item. For example, I can do without toothpaste, but do not want to loose my sunscreen to a bear.

On the other hand, I DO NOT put any clothing or any item I plan on having in the tent with me in my bear cannister, even if this means my cannister is half empty in my pack. The cannister has food smells and the last thing I want is for my clothing to smell like a tastey morsel to a bear! The exception is smelly socks on my last day out.

Also, I believe the cleaner camp you keep the better with respect to bears. I wash pots well away from camp. I am pretty fanatical about washing my clothes and myself every day.

In areas where bears assoicate humans with a free meal, any smell will attract them to your camp. In areas where bears associate humans with getting killed (hunting allowed)I would think bears would avoid human smells.

A long time ago, my family was camping in Glacier National Park, Montana, and were harrassed by bears. Keeping a fire going all night kept them away. I think most animals fear fire. Has anyone also experienced this?