Thanks, sarbar. I didn't realize that there was an earlier version of it - I just noticed it this year on REI's website.

The Jetboil is still my go-to set, though I've used the Soloist once or twice with my alcohol stove (Clikstand with a Trangia burner.) I really liked it, and the two together make a really nice, though somewhat heavy, kitchen. I may eventually order a small canister stove, and let it replace the Jetboil. The heavy part of the Clikstand is the Trangia burner - replace it with something else, and you save several ounces. However, I really like my Trangia because you just fill it and go - no measuring fuel, just put the lid back on. The convenience is worth the weight.

One other advantage the Soloist gives me is that I can use the stuff sack/bucket to replace the nylon bowl I carry anyhow. I like to dip water, carry it to a comfy rock or log, and sit down while I filter. I haven't missed at all perching precariously with my right leg on a teetering, moss-covered rock while my left leg is on the log, all the while trying to keep the end of the hose from drifting over to rest on the sand in that little eddy. smile