I wear low gaiters when hiking in the spring, especially on the east side of the Cascades. That at least keeps the ticks from crawling up my legs. I also spray my outer clothing with permethrin, which does kill the little arachnids. Deet does repel them but if your clothing is sprayed and everything's tucked in, just a line of it at wrists, collar and hairline will do the job. I always shower and check thoroughly (using a mirror) as soon as I get home.

For my dog, I apply Frontline monthly during tick season (which last year, a year of no summer out here, lasted until late fall). However, Frontline doesn't kill the ticks until they've actually bitten, although it does work before the ticks have had a chance to release the organisms they carry (several hours after the bite). It's therefore a good idea to comb the dog before putting him in the car after a hike, and check for ticks that have actually adhered. One time I found close 30 ticks crawling on his fur looking for a home.

I hate the critters, too--I'm itching all over just writing this!

I hope that if somebody hears from Earthling they will post here. I'm worried, and I know all of you who know him are, too!