Originally Posted By lori

We are discussing the reality that people can and do hang outside in the cold. It's not herculean if you are motivated to do it.

The matter of materials is not a nonsequiter - I don't know why those people you list did not use hammocks, but I can make a guess that materials derived from plants and animals degrade rapidly and need frequent replacement.

The native peoples could have made perfectly serviceable sheet goods from any number of natural materials. I've seen Moose hide fleshed and finished so light you could almost see through it and yet it is as strong if not stronger than any modern day ripstop. They also wove grasses and bark into soft clothing, trays and pliable ropes. Many of which can still be seen today in museums. After contact with the whites linens and canvas was available.

Today the First Nations Peoples or the Sami of Lapland could use the internet or local outfitters to acquire a Hennesey or whatever.

They do not because through millennia of real experience living out on the land they know it's a futile exercise. They would much rather pitch their Tipi, Wigwam, Lavvu or build an Igloo and sleep on the ground where it's warm and the wind doesn't steal their warmth.

White man has always fought against nature, instead of living with it.