Originally Posted By hoz

No, but I did read about a guy who was struck by lightning while sleeping in his hammock. An isolated incident to be sure, but it did happen.

This thread was about winter camping in a hammock. Personally, I don't consider having to bring and rig extra insulation and hanging a tarp so that it looks like a tent (completely enclosing the hammock) to be a particularly convenient or efficient way to camp in cold weather.

And one last time, why didn't the Ojibwe, the Cree, the Inuit, the Dene or the Sami sleep in hammocks?

I read about people struck by lightening on Half Dome. I still went. So do thousands of other people who don't get struck by lightening.

You have your reasons, I have mine. I like to stand up instead of changing clothes lying down. I like to cook under my tarp. I like to avoid hoisting myself up off the ground where I spent my whole night tossing and turning without sleeping. You are welcome to sleep anywhere you like, allow me the courtesy of doing the same without being heckled for my (perfectly valid) choices.

Think about the materials the native americans had on hand and whether they would make a comfortable hammock. I am certainly not going to take a hammock made of plant matter out in the rain. And that's a red herring argument anyway - if you are going to limit yourself to what historical people used in various locations, throw away your backpack, your nylon tents, your handy little cookstoves, your synthetic clothing, your fancy boots, and those store bought freeze dried meals in those little foil packets. Just because your great great great grandpappy didn't use it does not mean a particular item of gear is not useful today.

http://hikeandbackpack.com