Hey
Lori states that she goes winter camping where there is no snow. Bill spends his winters in extremely rugged mountains west of Las Vegas. Sleeping on snow is a lot more comfortable than sleeping on hard summer ground, and I have to wonder whether there are any real comfort benefits of snow hammocking, I doubt it, however I guess it would take more snow to bury you in a hammock - assuming there were any features to fasten it between.

Also camping above or below the tree line is a big divider. I can't see hammocking in snow above the tree line, but of course someone does it. Question is whether its better, or lesser, or merely a personal choice, as far as comfort, safety, and reasonablness.

Piching a tent on snow above the tree line in a storm is a challenge, a hammock would present more challenges.

LORI - RE: Shugs

Yep - hes crazy. After watching half an hour of his antics including -26 forest camping, I do have some reservations.

I nticed that between Shugs and his buddy, that shugs stuff was so bulky and heavy for 2 nights that dragged a poorly rigged sled that did not stay put behind him on slopes. His buddy had what looked like an old 7 pound TNF skyscraper pack. Shugs had a tent that he called a tarp that went to the ground. Inside the tent was his hammock. He had a down under bag under the hammock, and another outer under bag to cover the down under quilt. Then he had 2 sleeping bags and stated " I slept in 3 pairs of socks and down booties in my double sleeping bag and my feet are toasty". I hate sleeping in socks and in a well made sleeping bag socks should not be required or if any - one pair of loose socks.

He also said that they blew in the wind a bit, but that they were well protected down in the trees.

I'm betting that his tent, hammock, etc etc, weighs more than my bibler at 4 lbs 4 oz. My Bibler is easier to pitch but requires stamping down a spot. I use a Down Airmattress inside it on snow - thats pretty comfortable. Its a 2 person tent so there's lots of room for spreading out my gear, I can dress easily and cook in my tent, and it doesn't squeeze me, and I prefer to sleep flat.

So I'm saying that some do hammock in the forest in winter snow, but its not lighter than or necesarily easier or faster than tent camping, AND tents are way more solid in wind and above tree line.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/19/09 01:02 AM)