NiytOwl, that is about as well put a summary of foraging as I have encountered. When I was in the Army long ago, I went through a week of foraging as part of a course in "Escape, Evasion and Survival". This course was conducted in the SE, U.S., a relatively lush part of America in my experience. We ate lots of greens, a few roots, a bit of green fruit, grubs, bugs, the occasional lizard or snake eek and drank lots and lots of water. Almost everything I ate was either bitter, sour, crunchy-chewy, insipid or otherwise bloody awful tasting. Going hungry was often a realistic, perhaps pleasant, alternative.

Was it an interesting experience? Yes but the same thing can be said about being hung; I'm sure it is not boring for the hangee. Would I do it again? Not unless my life depended on it. I had mild diarrhea for most of the week, had relatively little energy and dreamed of hamburgers and prime rib all the time.

The rules of the exercise did not allow us to kill our comrades for lunch but I'm sure that the idea entered a few of our minds. crazy

Edited by Pika (02/22/09 01:03 PM)