I remember being camped in the Sierras, about 3 miles in at a lake. 5 or 6 kids of junior college age, and obviously not locals, pitched their tent 3 feet from mine with the fronts lined up like a boy scout camp. For those east coast people, in the west we consider fifty feet to be about the minimum space requirement for such a thing, and if there is no other tentsite around, you keep going.

What makes this relevant is that I just happened to be dressed in full battle dress with a .45 automatic on a 3" green web belt. I address my neighboors to ask what they thought they were doing, and they ignored me. Now I'm thinking these guys are from NY city, meaning they were street smart but it must have been their first trip out west - we are friendly here.. So I stood there talking to them for about a minute about sharing the campsite and all but how I had a bunch of buddies coming in with automatic weapons and lots of ammo and we were be doing some target practice and would they like to join us? They are still refusing to acknowledge my presence right - when one steels a glance and screams "Hes got a gun, run for it". They had the tent down and were seen hightailing it on down the trail.
Jim crazy