For a couple of decades I used an external-frame REI Cruiser pack I bought in 1972. In 1997 I finally wore it out beyond repairing. I'd had a lot of good luck with REI gear over the years and I had always liked this pack, so naturally I went to REI for my replacement.

I looked at every pack they carried, both internal and external frame types (this was in the midst of the Big Switch to internals). They all sucked. Amazingly, every single pack that REI sold was heavier than my old Cruiser pack. And they were all festooned with useless junk - straps and buckles and adjusters and tighteners and other pretty gew-gaws - which just made wearing them confusing and stupidly complex.

I recall clearly saying to the salesman, "why make all these fancy new internal frame packs if they're just as heavy as the old externals?" He shrugged. I later found out he was secretly an ultralight backpacker stuck selling REI's Too Heavy Gear.

Anyway, I walked out of the store having reluctantly purchased a Sierra Crest pack I have hated ever since. I ditched it when I discovered UL in 2003. I still do use this pack about once every two years, when I need to play at being a mule for a group hike. Otherwise, it collects dust.

Sometimes I fantasize about returning it under REI's 100% satisfaction guarantee, even though it's been 12 years. They'd deserve it; it was a total piece of crap.

(P.S. I just saw REI's latest entries in the UL pack category yesterday - the newly-remodeled Flash 50 and Flash 65. They looked like decent, basic light packs- and about 1000% better than the Sierra Crest pack I hate so much.