Sabre

If I am traveling with another person in winter, I often carry the dual burner Coleman X stove. I beieve it weighs 21 oz. My largest 2 titanium pans and the MSR heat exchanger weigh 20 oz. So the pans and stove come to 20 oz per person plus fuel. This gives us unlimited fast access to hot water, easy cooking with hot coffee and breakfast cooking at the same time. I could leave out the heat exchanger and carry a 14 oz single burner Xstreme stove, but we would only save half a pound each and in the winter that half a pound can mean the difference between lots of hot drinks and pasta with hot sauce on it, vs hot pasta cold sauce or the other way around.

The cook gear is a winter essential. If it means my winter pack weighs 25 pounds instead of 24, thats ok. I could also travel MUCH lighter if I didn't take my 4.5 pounds Bibler Eldorado tent, but my decadent camping style - nice tent - good food - warm feet would suffer.

Jim