Yes, I do think that it is worth the time and money to go as light as you possibly can. However, that doesn't mean that you have to go out and spend a thousand dollars on all new gear. That, in my opinion, would be crazy. I think that I saw someone in here post some thing about making your own gear and there is an entire section right here on that very topic. I am quite like the poster right before me. I would like to be as light as I possibly can but I won't sacrifice where it compromises safety. Some times I have left gear to be a little lighter and thought man I wished that I would have brought that, or I might pack something a little extra, and sooner than later be saying, "what the hell did I bring that for, so as many in here advise do a lot through trial and error, check and try out a lot of your gear at home before taking it to the back country and last but not least, make whatever gear that you can manage. Those things should save you a lot of money. I like tinkering with different gear trying to fashion some on my own that will suffice what the gear stores sell. I could go out and purchase all new gear but I am much too frugal for that. I get the safest, most comfortable, and the most cost efficient gear that I can get my hands on and I don't mind at all that it is home made either. Hope that helps...sabre11004..goodjob

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there...