I've certainly learned a good bit. I'm getting my gear together for a weekender in a few weeks, and I've got my base weight down to less than 20lbs. Even with food, water, and fuel, I should still be below 25lbs. The limiting factor for me has been the weight of my pack, stove, and tent.

I asked about hammocks on the MYOG board and got a great link to a pattern that I'm going to try. That will save me at least 32oz. Like Heber mentioned above, I've seen several threads about making stoves from various cans*. I will probably try that before too long. That will shave a good bit more weight. Once I get my kit down to where I want it, I can start looking for a pack that weighs significantly less than 7lbs.

I visited Big Fish just to see what all they had, and because I had two hours to kill. They didn't have all that many more things than a good-sized Wally World, and I really didn't expect them to. Looking at their selection did start me to thinking about all this.

I guess it all boils down to this: What are your priorities? Now, what gear do you need to meet those priorities?

-Bear
*We Southerners have no such thing as "pop". I'm assuming you're talking about Coke? Down here, all carbonated soft drinks are referred to as Coke. For instance, "I want a Coke." "What kind?" "Pepsi." I think it's kinda funny, actually.