I'd say your experience perfectly mirrors mine. I don't find an awful lot of good lightweight stuff in "big box" outdoor stores.or if there is, you have to be *really* careful about what you are buying. Is it worth it? I think so. Personally
I don't notice much difference between carying 15 pounds and 20 pounds on my back. but I notice 30, and 45 to 50 is a real pain. The main difference for me with 20 pounds is I can walk like my pack doesn't exist. I can enjoy the walk - not just the camp, and I walk more and go further. So for me, yes, it's
totally "worth it" - but I certainly doin't get to such weights
by buying gear randomly at big fish type stores.

There are a lot of options to go out with "less" and as you seem to have noticed (good on you!) that doesn't mean you *can't* go out with old "uncool" gear. One of the biggest ways
to start going lighter is just start reducing, what you are taking down to what you need, as opposed to what "might be cool". There are lots of things you can do without doing very much at all:

1) consider adapting the food you take to something suitable for an alcohol stove, and make one of the endless varietys discussed here and elsewhere and try it out. While you're at it
reduce your "cook kit" to a small pot, spoon, and maybe a cup.

2) Carefully look at the clothing you take. look at a few of our packlists and how we use them. If you have to change anything, don't necessrily run out and buy the most expensive Patagucci rig you can find - second hand stores can find you wonderful nylon dress/liner socks - woolens - fleece - and cashemere which are wonderful to take for hardly any dough.

3) you've probably seen the risk tesk hammock links here, and you've mentioned making a cheap one - great other way to start.

4) any rudimentary sewing skills help. lots of projects there.

There is a good couple of threads here about a 200 dollar challenge (with some healthy arguments) and a few cheap lists.
look back a bit and you'll find them.

Browse my pictures