I'm on my third pair of Hardrocks and I love them. They were all purchased in different years so they are not all exactly the same even in regard to fit, although all are size 10.5.

I experimented with lighter shoes before going to the Hardrocks but I had some durability isues. Asics and Hi-Tec come to mind. I don't mean to slam their whole line, these were just individual shoes on a single person. I found the thinner soles of lighter shoes to be uncomfortable on anything but well groomed trails. Weight savings come at a cost. IMHO shoes in the style and weight range of Hardrocks are the best compromise between weight, comfort and durability. You still see loads of them on trail race start lines, and for good reason.

Honestly, the best shoe for me is.......whatever is on sale. I paid $39.95 for my last pair of Hardrocks. I'm a horrible overpronator so my choices are more more limited than yours but it seems that something is always on sale.

I've had good luck with Solomons too. But the bottom line is, my feet are not your feet and what works for me may be painful for you and vise versa. The only true test for footwear happens many miles and many hours down the road. "Trial and error" is your only true friend. I have a closet full of shoes(just call me Imelda) that felt great at first but revealed their true colors many miles down the road. They have been relegated to casual wear or shorter hikes only.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.