Yes, thanks!

I am hoping to find that someone has experimented with dehydrating low glycemic foodes, and low carb pasta, etc., for camping. I may need to check in with the food-preserving folks at Yahoo!groups.

I did try cooking and dehydrating barley years ago. It is low on the glycemic index, but didn't want to rehydrate easily. I had planned on my favorite "boil water and dump" method of cooking as we camp this summer. Basically, it is the same as "Freezer Bag Cooking." If I have to cook like at home, it changes the pots and pans, stove, fuel, etc. Not what one wants for a fly-drive vacation. Oh, yeah, there is the "vacation" part of this. The prep time/cooking/clean-up at a picnic table with hauling water and trash is greater than in my kitchen at home. So, the vacation part goes out the window for the cook. I'd much rather take care of the work at home and be able to just add boiling water at meal time...

Another component is hubby's new avoidance of "starchy foods." Bulgur, whole wheat pasta, even mashed potatoes with some added fat and protein can be low on the glycemic index. He is pretty much skipping anything like this. I think he is trying to drop weight and get his fasting glucose levels down. I don't know that skipping carb-laden foods at night is the answer, but that is where he is reight now. So, even bulgur or barley, low GI foods are not finding room on his plate. He needs to see what he can eat in the evening. It could be that complex carbs with the right amount of fat and protein will balance out the absorption and metabolism so that his AM numbers are in an acceptable rangs.

Thanks, again!

CamperMom