Nightforce

I use the Coleman x system, so I have an Xcursion butane/propane lantern that has its own internal fuel bottle that is charged from a larger X fuel bottle. Besides the fact that any traditional lantern mantle may shatter with impact even if covered, its very rugged. Spare mantles are a must even though plastic covers slide up over the glass "bowl". I believe that its a 9 watt max output but I could be completely wrong. It puts out white light brighter than several candles, maybe, crazy, but it almost feels cool above it. I have used it in an igloo and it made little difference in warmth, but the light was nice. After seeing what a small controlled flame it is, I am not frightened of carbon monoxide from it. It weighs 13.75 oz full of fuel.

Long ago my wife and I had a 6AA cell fluorescent mini-light with a 4" long fluorescent tube. It was cool. Use lithium batteries in cold weather and make it so it can hang from the top of your tent.

Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (01/21/09 09:21 PM)