Short answer (and my choice) - I always carry bear spray in grizzly country. I've never had to use it in 10 years of doing so, and I've seen 'em lots. Only ever had it out of the holster "in anger" once - and that was for a mountain biker.

Frankly, I find it less sketchy than a handgun. the stuff from a real "bear" canister (as opposed to a stupid little one that's really for carrying for people) comes out as more of a spew than a fine aerosol, and you are absolutely not trying to hit something with it at long distance in high wind. You're hosing a bear down that's 10 feet from you. I've seen the videos, I've hiked with grizzly biologists. I trust it, and frankly not just to protect my own butt, but to give a potentially overinquisitive bear a good negative reinforcement so I don't get hurt and have to report it and have a bear killed. We have plenty of tourons, and not enough grizzlys..

I do *not* view it as a substitute for proper bear precautions. you're not using it to "defend your castle" rambo style from marauding bears. It's to act as a last ditch defense to stop a bad situation that you've gotten into by chance, which can happen on the trail, but is very unlikely.

Since the OP asked about grizzlys, that's my answer. In black
bear turf I will "sometimes" - and sometimes will skip it. If I ever end up in the north in polar bear country, I'll be carrying a rifle - the only time I'd bother with the weight of
one (other than for hunting) on the north american continent.

Edited by phat (01/14/09 11:02 AM)
Browse my pictures