Originally Posted By BarryP

No matter what, it still appears good alcohol setup is always lighter than canister. On day 7, alcy setup starts going lighter and that’s why the overall average is lower than giga/canister.

as I mentioned, it depends if you look at max weight or average. You're correct for any sane number of meals I believe, about the average.. There's good reasons to care about both - the average for obvious reasons, but the max to know what you're gonna carry on your heaviest days. By the time I'm at day 7 I care less about the fuel burn because I've eaten so much food out of my pack that I'm practially levitating down the trail (tie a string to me and float me in the macy's parade.... woot!)

Quote:

And 0.75oz (not fl. oz) /2C-H2O meal is pretty generous for a good alcy stove.

I budget the same, although I wouldn't call it "generous" when starting with water that's usually a couple degrees above freezing even in august. I find that number matches my practical in field use with a penny stove.. Your starting water temp matters a heck of a lot smile

But in any case we digress - I still carry alky on almost all my trips - I'm paranoid - I don't even trust the stupid lindal valves on the canisters not to ruin my trip smile

Browse my pictures