Owch - I've definately done that to myself in years past with a boot with an ill fitting heel cup that I slipped in going uphill. Getting a good fit (boots or sneakers) will be the only good solution, and I have issues with it myself because I have "duck feet" - wide at the front and a narrow heel, so I really have to pick around to find stuff that my heel doesn't move in.

How "winter" is your winter? I've definately taken trail runners and mini-gaiters through snow before, but like any other time I am doing trail runners I more or less *expect* to get wet. By the time I'm into serious snow and the like I'm into a taller (than your mids that you picture) boot with a calf length gaiter. Many lows and mids will have gore-tex, YMMV with that, I've found them not to work so hot in snow, but I'm a goretex hater. some love it, while I realize you don't want advice on boot fit, you may find that serious winter in completely inadequate footwear is worse. A mukluk, or gosh forbid, boots that fit your heel might be a better choice if you are really cold and snowy. No I won't suggest a boot brand, because that's silly. they're your feet and everything fits different.

I have a pair of mini-gaiters similar to what you show there that I use for light duty warmer weather stuff. I also have the big calf high gore tex jobbies. I've used several different kinds over the years. The mini gaiter is lovely as a "deflector shield" to keep twigs and crap out of the runners, but really doesn't keep you dry if you start wading in snow.

I will caution you on your lace bottom gaiter - I've had such things and used them and found them to be nothing but hateful. The lace ices up and wears quickly if you have it where you can hope to get it undone it constantly comes untied, and if you knot it up so it stays it ices over and is a royal pita to get undone at the end of the day. while yes you can replace it with another lace or rope, you can do that in a pinch on real gaiters, (and by "real" I mean they have a nice buckle and strap), and most gaiters with a buckle and strap will allow you to replace the strap when it wears easily - and they sell replacements - for example, on my MEC gaiters I can replace the strap for 10 bucks

Alternatively, if your shoe will accept them, and you really need the snow protection, you could try a full cover gaiter with a rubber welt on the bottom - I don't use these, but might if I was told I had to do a winter trip in a trail runner (and lots of thick socks.)

I'm curious about what sort of boots you're into that they are "hitting your shins" - I assume you're buying full height type stuff. a shorter (and better fitting) boot might be more appropriate. My boots do not come anywhere near my shins, they end just above my ankles (similar to these) but wearing them with full height gaiters are nice in snow:

As opposed to wearing my montrails with mini-deflector sheilds, where I do still expect to get them wet:

and dry out after..

Edited by phat (01/04/09 08:24 PM)
Browse my pictures