Silas, there is a big difference between a propane camping stove and a backpacking stove which uses a butane/propane mix, ususally around 80/20. Propane is lighter than butane. It has a lower boiling point than butane and requires higher pressure to be liquified in the canister, which is why propane tanks are steel rather than aluminum.

Backpacking stoves, as noted above, use small non-refillable aluminum canisters. The canisters contain the gas at a much lower pressure than a propane tank. If you shake a canister, you can feel and hear the liquid butane sloshing around in it. Backpacking canisters can be recycled and should always be carried out from your campsite. The most common canister has a Lindal valve that enables you to unscrew the canister from the stove for travel or storage. There are several other valves, but the Lindal is the most common. Some GAZ stoves have a non-threaded valve and the Coleman Jim has uses an entirely different cartridge and valve.

Here are two good sites with the scientific info on various fuels-
Zen Stoves
Fuel FAQ

For the average beginner backpacker who is hiking in three season weather (above freezing), I would recommend a canister stove. They are relatively cheap, easy to use and lightweight. Look throught the sponsors' sites, especially backcountrygear.com for different models.

FYI, I have different stoves for different uses-I have 3 liquid fuel stoves and two gas stoves, including a Primus Micron and a Coleman. I've made alcohol stoves just for fun, but don't have much use for them.

Edited by TomD (01/04/09 03:55 PM)