Bear Paw

I have to argue a point and add another. There certainly are canister stoves that work well in cold weather, like my Coleman xtreme, but there is the other one where you turn the remote canister upside down. I predict there will be more cold weather canister stoves because of 3 things, They light without priming, shut off completely thus not giving off toxic fumes, AND you cane easily simmer on them.

I got out my ancient XGK (white gas MSR) and lit it this week. It lit pretty easily even in cold wind, but in really bad weather a white gas stove is nearly impossible to get primed and therefore maybe not lit. The XGK does put out enough heat for winter camping, an MSR Whisper-lite is very marginal. I have no experience with any of the new stoves besides the Coleman Xtreme and the 2 burner model.

BTW "Camp stoves" do not burn Propane, they burn a propane/butane mixture which can be put into a thin walled bottle. Real propane stoves that sit on a green 2 pound bottle work pretty well, but may require occasional warming of the bottle.

White gas will get on your hands, possibly causing frost bite, but in any event, you will smell like white gas or Kerosene if you use these fuels.

Its best to have a 15,000BTU stove in the winter and dual burners means melting water and cooking at the same time. My dual burner weighs 8 oz more than a single, but uses only one fuel bottle.

Jim