Originally Posted By Dryer
That's quite a rig, Bearpaw. Is that actually a 'double' hammock, made for two people? Also, with the underquilt, did you need the foam pad? That's one item I'm trying to shed (foam pad). I like how your tarp closes on one end.

Yes, the ENO Double Nest is designed to two very slender people who like each other a lot or one Bearpaw with extra room.

I've used the underquilt 7 or 8 times this autumn and as nearly as I can tell, I am fine with the underquilt alone down to around freezing. Below that I want a bit more insulation. However, with a 3/8" CCF pad, I think I could honestly get down to around 0 F (-18 C).

Sgt. Rock used a similar system last year on this AT thru-hike attempt and slept comfortably in temps as low as 6 F.

What I may try on a car camp sometime soon is the underquilt with my 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlite padding. I did NOT need the full thickness of regular foam padding at 18 degrees. This would significantly decrease the bulk and weight of my padding.

BTW, I've found my Smartwool merino wool shirt does a great job controlling any moisture that may form while I'm on the ccf pad. It's not part of the system, but it certainly helps.

As for the tarp, the Speer Winter Tarp is truly a remarkable piece of gear. It actually closes on both ends, and I DID close both that night. The photo was simply to show how low I rigged the tarp to prepare for the cold winds that were blowing. And I was glad of the enclosure.

I bought the Speer tarp for my wife, so she could have a bit more privacy in camp, but she also loved how it shed wind. The only issue I had with wind Sunday night was when it woke me up a few times because it was beating my tarp so hard it sounded like the Blair Witch shaking the tent in that movie.