I have used the same system for years in the midwest. This system may not work in some other areas or during cold, wet, snowy conditions. I would bring backup gloves, etc. in that case. I just think in layers, like the rest of my body.

Most of the time I use a pair of thin, lightweight liner gloves. I'm pretty warm natured so they work for me in cold weather. My second layer would be lightweight fleece mittens worn over the liner gloves. When its really cold (say in the 20's or lower 30's) I wear a lightweight water resistant breathable shell over everything. This works really well for me because it blocks all the wind from entering the fleece gloves.

I can't do much with mittens on, so as needed I strip back down to the liner gloves for chores. I don't carry trekking poles either, so thats not an issue.

When cooking I almost always go gloveless, or just use the liners if I have too. Helps keep the food smells off the gloves, and I try to keep them away from the heat as I have melted a few pair.

I do agree with carrying an extra pair of liners as stated above by another poster.

In an emergency you could always use an extra pair of socks as mittens & maybe some small stuffsacks or whatever as a waterproof layer over them.

Jon

Edited by Jon (12/18/08 09:38 AM)