I have a pair of convertible gloves/mittens (the kind where your fingers tips are exposed when in "glove" mode). They are just cheap things made of some kind of synthetic material. I picked them up at the discount store . But they keep me pretty warm. Then the other day I went on an overnight backpacking trip with my daughter in pretty cold weather (low 20s) and while making breakfast two things happened. (1) I spilled hot cocoa on the gloves and (2) I melted the cuff of one glove in a stupid attempt to dry the glove using my stove. They are still usable but it made me think I may need new gloves because it seems like winter gloves that absorb liquid that fast are a bad idea.

I think we would all agree that the three things you need in a winter glove system are warmth, water resistance, and dexterity (how much can you do with out taking off the gloves, i.e. can you work zippers and lighters and so forth). It occurs to me that there are a few trade-offs here. A warmer glove or a more water resistant glove may be more cumbersome to work with. A more waterproof glove may be less warm overall because it causes your hand to sweat. You see what I mean.

So what do you all like to use? And let's think of it as a system rather than as a glove. So if you like to use a liner glove in addition to a mitten or whatever then please mention that.