My comment wasn't meant to be critical, so I hope it wasn't taken that way. it is just a very different style of camping under extreme conditions.

Some of those guys do take less than others. I've looked at the whole wintertrekking site and read through the trip reports. One of the guys uses a Kifaru Tipi tent instead of a heavier hot tent, for example. Another trip report showed the guys camping under a tarp. The availability of firewood makes a big difference. You can't do that down here in most of the parks.

I can see the need to take what they do, given the temps they are at and why not? I don't see a lot of point to going out in extreme cold and not being as comfortable as possible.

I know you can do UL in winter, but practically speaking, only up to a point. Some of their trips are for about a week, so being comfortable makes sense to me. On my little winter trips, I take far more stuff than other people, but it's worth it to me to have it with me, just in case and I'm not out in anything close to what you go out in up in Canada.