I use less fleece also, but not for the reason you say. I am using more wool, and less fleece. The idea is you only need 1 wind layer, and it should be as light as possible. 4oz of cheap light breathable nylon is a good target for windjacker or wind pants. Harder to find cheap light pants for some reason. Anyhow, the wool or fleece layers should be thick. Its ok if the wind blows through them. In fact, its a good thing. When you need to stop that you put the windbreaker on. In winter I wear a thick but light wool sweater for a top, and 200wt fleece pants for bottoms. I don't add my skin layer or wind layer or hat or mitts until I need to. I will also blouse up the 200wt fleece pants above my knee to stay cool when neccessary. This also helps dry my socks. The only clothes I need to carry are my skin layers, my wind layers, and my mitts and hat and neck tube. By keeping these main layers on they stay dry and I recycle my heat better between periods of activity and inactivity. I would probably go with wool pants if they made them thick and loose enough, but they don't, and the 200wt fleece pants actually might be better if you suddenly take a plunge or something like that. If its potentially really cold, like -20F without sun, then I might also carry my long wool underwear, which can slip in between my other skin layer and main layers, and can be held in reserve as extra sleep wear or clothing until needed. I might make a pillow case to carry them in until needed. They weigh 16oz. 100% merino for $35 from Stanfields awhile back.