I only put very light items (for convenience, like the water filter) in side pockets or wet things on the outside. My Tevas dangle outside, tarp goes in a webbing pocket or stuffed into the rolled up pad. Though I think when there is more possibility of rain I would shift to keeping everything in a pack liner except for things like the pad or Tevas.

The Bear Vault I have gets stuck in the top in the extension with small items and cook gear in it, or the bottom with something light in it, like clothes or one of my quilts. Food is stored in an OP sack that sits down against the pack frame, usually in front of the hydration pocket. If I put the food in the can and set it at the top it's too top heavy for me. This is particularly critical in a pack like my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus where pack comfort depends heavily on weight distribution. I have tried to put the Bear Vault in the Y strap on the Mariposa; it pops out when you cinch down tight. I wrap the extension over it and give the contents a good shove or two to compact things down to minimize shifting. The pack is a tad narrow to shove the can in the bottom; I'm leery of stressing seams with it. With the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, however, the BV fits in the bottom of the pack with room to spare.

The Ozone is listed as having a 3800 cu in capacity, but I was delighted to discover that it in fact will hold up to 4500 cu in while only weighing in at 3 pounds. I used it on a day trip with 20 lbs in it - the suspension made it effortless to carry. I packed it full of stuff and put it on around the apartment - can't wait to get it on a backpacking trip. I like my Mariposa Plus, when my weight is under the 30 lb max and the total volume is less than 4000 cu in. In summer those webbing pockets on the outside are great for stuffing the tarp and water filter in; I even put my platypus hoser in one of the side pockets instead of inside the pack. But the Ozone is just about close to perfect - I could carry a load of winter gear and 4-5 days of food and fuel in this thing, or compress it down for a day hike. The hip belt can be swapped out by the manufacturer if you decide you need a bigger/sturdier belt. It is not made to dangle lots of gear from the outside, but to pack it all in with maybe the pad on the back under some cross straps. It may very well become my all around pack.

http://hikeandbackpack.com