Quote:

Do you mean I should wear nylon pants to keep the water/rain/snow off me? We're supposed to get rain this weekend. I don't have any nylon pants or special long johns, and we leave in 2 days. I am bringing a rain poncho. That will help keep me dry and I don't expect to sweat too much.

Yes, this is what we mean. If it means a trip to the store for some inexpensive rain pants, then I'd do it.

You don't need to spend a ton of money on fancy stuff for this one weekend, but you do need to be prepared.

Perhaps another question is why you all are going out in bad weather? If learning to camp in bad weather is the goal, that's great, but everyone, you included, needs to be prepared for it.

The good news is that if things really get bad weather-wise, you can all just pile back into the cars and go home, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the trip.

The example you and the other leaders want to set is one that shows the Scouts that they can eventually go out on their own if properly equipped. and that starts with you and the other leaders having the right gear.

There are some extreme examples of how not to do this posted in the Health & Safety and Winter forums.