I have used Candle Lanterns for years and I do enjoy the warm light of the candle. I have several around the house for emergencies and power outages. Now, for backpacking I reserve its use for group hikes and winter camping. I make my own candles for the lanterns highly recommend Bees Wax Candles over paraffin. The number of harmful chemical agents paraffin gives off are too numerous to count and breathing them in an enclosed tent is not a wise idea.

A summer and lighter weight option for tent lighting is the Glo-Toob LED Light. I use the White FX version. It weighs in at 1.25 ounces compared to 7.5 ounces (almost 1/2 pound) for an aluminum Candle Lantern. It is a cylindrical shape 2.75" long and .75" in diameter. The Glo-Toob burns for up to 30 hours on the single 12v battery(best price for the batteries is Wal-Mart in 2 packs). It produces a light bright enough to read by anywhere in the tent, is water proof to 11,500 feet below sea level, and has several emergency flash modes including an S-O-S signal. I just clip mine high up inside my tent and leave it in the tent each day when packing up since it is so small. I only remove it on the last day of a trip when I am packing out.