It is fun when hiking with just enough spare change to take your foraging into town when you get a chance. Like all good things I wouldn't want to overdo it or make a habit of it. I did a solo paddle up the St. John River once. Not exactly remote, but not much traffic either, sleeping with cows on islands and stuff. Anyhow the last day I shoved off before dawn from Ox Island and pulled into the Gagetown wharf in the rain just in time for breakfast, still several hour paddle from home, all upwind. It didn't even dawn on me until I stopped that I had $5 on me, but that was just enough for the very best breakfast I've ever had. I think it was bacon and eggs and sausages and toast, and maybe some home fries. The $5 included a very modest tip but I think the waitress was just happy to see someone very wet and cold really appreciate a $5 breakfast. I apologized for only having $5 and she smiled and said she didn't mind. I try and bring debit and credit everywhere now, but somehow its just not the same. Something about cash and change is very dear when its very little but just enough.