I've used a few different kinds of pedals, so here are some quick thoughts...

Flats -- Inexpensive, easy learning curve, no special shoes required, movement not constrained. No firm connection to the bike, however. Still, I like these for my commuting/everyday bike.

Clips (i.e., cage with strap) -- simple add on, adds some security. However, the foot exit procedure is actually more complex than it is with most "cleat" systems, because with the clips you have to move your foot backward and then to the side (ground) to catch yourself.

SPD style -- Pretty inexpensive, and pretty universal. This style limits your side-to-side movement ("float"). They work pretty well, but if money is no concern, my preference is for...

Frog/Speedplay system -- Pricey, but a really smart and elegant design, with lots of unrestricted "float." Pika, given your remark about your left foot, you might give these a look if you can afford them.

I ride mosty on the road these days, but I usually opt for "mountain" style pedals, because it gives me the option to used a recessed shoe if I wish. Also, some pedal designs are one sided. I prefer "dual entry" style as the starting-from-a-stop-light procedure is made a little more simple.