Compass always. I never use it, but the mirror is nice to check for boogers. GPS when I bushwhack. Just would not feel comfortable without it. I've been lost, taken wrong turns, got scared. One time in the winter I got real scared - I woke up with unexpected snow and could not find the trail to save my life. Did not have gloves. Visibility was poor. I was alone as usual. I did not have the GPS, but it wasn't gonna show me where the trail was - nor was the compass that I did have. I guess if I was headed to Alaskan backcountry I would bone up on some skills, but for now I will just curl up the fetal position until some hapless hiker stumbles over me. Besides, I always know where I am in relation to the nearest airport and can always find my direction by listening to the constant fly over noise - that should get me close to a local road where the noise of stinkin' Harleys seems to travel on forever. I guess if I was daft, and did not pay attention I could wander around in a circle between the infinite maze of roads and never see one, but if that happens I guess I deserve to be lost. Its like Horace Kephart said 'You are not lost unless you have to be at a certain place at a certain time'.