As a member of a wilderness search and rescue team I consider myself very experienced with a GPS and map & compass, as everthing we do is bushwacking. My preference, along with almost all I know who do this, is map & compass. However, GPS is great as a backup to check me when terrain is tough to read. A GPS is a wonderful thing and used correctly can be a tool as well. However, nothing gives me the confidence as a topos map with compass.

The problem with GPS's is that they are electronics that run on batteries so the potential problems become obvious. The newest with best electronics can still have difficulty under a heavy canapy (east coast).

GPS does have a place in my SAR gear, and they are fun to play with while in the outdoors, setting waypoints, breadcrumbs, etc. On flat featureless terrain, a GPS becomes very helpful, but still you need to be aware of it's limitations.

I would be very wary, actually would never, rely exclusively on a GPS but I also would never give up my Garmin 60CSx.

Chuck