Quote:
HikerMatt-

If you camp in the East, you probably have trees available. Have your dad try a hammock, such as a Hennessy Hammock. He will sleep better off of the ground and won't have the stiff morning crawl out of a tent. During the day, fold the hammock in half, and sit in it like a giant sling chair. Be sure to keep the mosquito net behind you, not under you when you sit.

CamperMom

It's not so much the sleeping that he has trouble with, it's after the long hike, his is tired and sitting on the ground is not really appealing. Neither one of us are big fans of hammocks. I'm really only looking for something to keep him off the ground. I did a bit of searching on Google and found a tripod chair sort of like Greenandtan was talking about. It is a bit on the heavier side, but with as light as I pack anymore, I have the weight to spare, and I would be willing to carry it for my dad's comfort, or even take a few things from him to make his weight even out.

Both of us are getting a ton of new gear over the winter now that we have taken our last trip for the year, so I am going to work on getting him a lighter weight pack than his Kelty he currently uses so that his legs don't take so much of a beating. Being as he is 54 and I am 26, I can take more punishment right now on the trail than he can.