Of course I "care" what I eat as far as getting the proper nutrition for backpacking. On the other hand, I see these recipes in the backpacking magazines and sites for things that require like ten different ingredients and an hour of preparation.

I don't really care what my food tastes like out on the trail as long as I get a lot of bang (energy) for my buck with it in comparison to how much it weighs. Because 1.) When you hike long enough, anything sounds tasty and 2.) Even if it doesn't sound tasty, I would rather just force something down and take the energy from it than to have to worry about all my individual ingredients and spices scattered throughout my pack.

I can see, on the other hand, how cooking a nice meal is something to do once you are at camp and the sun goes down and you get a little bored.

On the other hand, I LOVE the feeling of getting back after a multi-day trip and going to some restaurant and just gorging on all the great food. Tuna, pb, bread, crackers, etc. only whets your appetite for all the amazing food you can eat once you get back...

Thoughts on this subject?