Quote:
Does anyone know if Princeton Tec plans to improve the Scout? It's a lot closer to what I want, if they'd just strengthen the clips that hold it to the headband.
Princeton Tec is looking at improving the Scout and you will probably see a change in the near future. They have improved the materials of the bracket that attaches to the headlamp, almost eliminating this problem of it breaking (according to customer service). I have had issues with previous models, but my current Scout has withstood much more abuse than the older ones I've used.

The only issue I have with the Scout is the batteries. PTEC sells a packet of 4 for around $5, but they aren't sold everywhere at this price. The good thing is that they are 2032 lithium cells which can be found anywhere, including gas stations. The bad new is that they are typically about $1.95 each...

I don't know if you've checked out the new PTEC Fuel headlamp. It is 2.6 ounces with alkaline batteries (just weighed mine on my Sunbeam scale), uses 3 AAA's, has a great switch, is bright, very water resistant (not waterproof), fairly small, rated at 35 lumens on high, made in the USA, and is only $25. The bummer is that it's not voltage regulated. I wouldn't recommend using it with lithium batteries, especially the newer Energizer lithiums. These are made to put out a burst of electricity for flash bulbs which is why Petzl posted on their website not to use them in any of their headlamps. This burst of electricity could potentially burn out the LEDs. Some of my buddies use lithiums in their Fuel headlamps, but I don't think that is wise.