Thank you, folks; please keep your comments coming!

After looking harder at the Princeton Tec website, the headlamp I currently have appears to be the Eos, since it has one larger LED bulb rather than several smaller ones. As mentioned, it's perfectly satisfactory except for its weight, and I will continue to use it except for longer trips in the summer. Paring down the weight is not so critical when I'm out for only 1-2 nights. It's when I go out for a week that it's critical, and I'll probably do that only in June through early September. One good thing about it is that if I load it with fresh lithium batteries, it will hold up for 10 days with enough reserve for a night hike out if there's an emergency. On my Wind Rivers trip, between the full moon and the altitude's making me so sleepy that I was in bed by 8 pm, too tired to read, I hardly used it at all.

I do carry one of those little "Photon" lights as backup. It's lighter than carrying extra batteries!

My previous experience with Petzl lights was with the Tikka--it kept popping open with the batteries falling out at the most inconvenient moments. Plus the bigger Petzl headlamps can't use lithium batteries.

What I get for a lighter headlamp does need to be waterproof and does need to be a headlamp. However, please note that it seldom rains in the Pacific NW in the summer. I'll be using my Eos in the rainy season. I'm more concerned about future summer trips to the Rockies.

Does anyone know if Princeton Tec plans to improve the Scout? It's a lot closer to what I want, if they'd just strengthen the clips that hold it to the headband.

Edited by OregonMouse (09/26/08 10:05 PM)