I wanted to update my comments based on some recent experience.

I used the Evernew system on my recent trip to the Ozarks and I wanted to add something to the Platypus vs Evernew comparison. While I dislike the Big Zip I used to have I think the bite valve from Platypus is much superior to the Evernew bite valve. That was a surprise to me. The Evernew bite valve seemed better designed because it had a cover to protect it from the dirt when you put the pack down. It also has an inline valve that shuts off water flow completely. I expected that to eliminate leaks. In fact the opposite was true. The valve itself leaks! Maybe I got a bad one. At any rate the leak was bad enough that while I hiked I had a continual dribble down my shoulder. And during transit to the trail a puddle formed in my car from the continual dripping out the bite valve. Eventually I just unscrewed the drink tube and stowed it and put the lid back on the bottle.

So my new strategy is to take the bite valve from my Platypus system (didn't throw that part away yet) and use it to replace my leaky Evernew bite valve.