Quote:
I love my Mammut headlamps. I've had reliability issues with PrincetonTek as well as being frustrated by the problems with the Myo series (I have a Myo 5).

The TX-1 bests the Myo series on all fronts (with a regulated main LED and smaller ones on the side, plus a blinking rear LED), and I prefer the TR-1 to my Tikka now (though the Tikka's still a decent series - not the PrincetonTec model I had a problem with, which was the Scout).
I can't wait to hear the feedback folks have with the new Princeton Tec Rebel EOS. I've been using it for the past few months with amazing results. I am blown away by the amount of light it puts out, very close to the Apex's output. It truly is the brightest self-contained headlamp on the market for the money (brighter than the burst mode of the Tikka XP). Although this may be short lived, this is a very good thing. Add this to it's long list of qualities (voltage regulated which allows for 121 hours of burn time on high and over 200 on low (according to backpackinglight.com), made in the USA, totally waterproof, lifetime warranty, can use lithium and rechargeable batteries because of it's voltage regulation, and the battery compartment is easy to get into even with gloves which is a big deal), it's an awesome light!

I know I'm biased, but I am motivated just like all of you, in finding the best gear for the money. I think this light (whether it's the Military EOS, the EOS Bike (which now comes with a headband), or the regular EOS) is one of the best for it's size and weight.

If you're comparing the Mammut TX-1 to the Scout, I would totally agree with you. There really is no comparison in terms of features. They are completely different lights. The Scout is one of the lightest headlamps designed for use as a standalone headlamp (meaning that it's not intended to be used only for emergencies like the Petzl E-Lite). However, it really isn't fair to judge Princeton Tec based on the Scout (although I use my Scout on most of my backpacking trips). To really make a good comparison between Mammut and Princeton Tec, I would suggest the new PTEC Rebel Apex Pro (not available for another month) or the new Rebel EOS (available now). These are worthy competitors.

By the way, the Rebel Apex Pro will be using the brightest Rebel available (110 Lumen Rebel). I've seen it and it is incredibly intense (it appears brighter than my Cree SureFire L1 Flashlight) without drawing any more battery power. The EOS is using the 80 Lumen Rebel.