Can't say about the balky stove. The MSR Whisperlite was always a good performer for me. There are many who argue that for LONG hikes, the gasoline stoves like these golden oldies are too heavy. The fuel bottle weight plus 12 ounces of stove that you carry constantly are contrary to the "ultralight" mentality.

So, what's next?

Butane stoves with an 8 Oz. container that lasts much of a week for those who just boil water to add to their dried food. The metal part of the stove is typically 3-4 ounces.

You can also head over to become an alcohol stove user. The fuel isn't as calorie rich per weight as is the gasoline, but you can make stoves which weigh under an ounce. And you can carry the fuel in a plastic container. You can make your own alcohol stoves, and you can write constantly about how great the latest version is and show pictures of the flame pattern.

They (alcohol stoves) take a little longer to get water to boil, but you can use that time to invent even more stoves or to tell even more stove stories.

Over at Thru-Hiker.com (or thruhiker.com) there is a calculation of the weight carrying consequences of the stove choices, at least the major ones.

You might wish to figure out HOW you want to cook before you get hooked into the stove debates.

When I bicycle camp, for example, I will stop and buy fresh hamburger whenever I can, and will fry it up for dinner or breakfast (along with real eggs). I also boil wash water and clean up the kitchen stuff really well.

I can do that easily with either a butane or gasoline stove. The fuel cost for the trip for the gasoline stove is maybe $0.50 and for the butane is maybe $5 to $7 for the same week-long trip. An extra 12 ounces or so in the bike trailer is no big deal.

Work out a little more how you want to cook before you get all caught up in the savings of ounces and grams and the wonders of alcohol.............