Quote:
Hey, Gardenville!

I haven't seen one of your posts for a long time. How are you doing? Well, I hope!

Can I hijack this thread to ask about the pump you had for your balloon bed? I know that you have moved on to some other tubes. The balloons look like they would be cheap and good for occasional usage. I'm thinking stranded in ariports, backups for when I intend to hammock, but a nasty thunderstorm has me heading for a shelter, or the once every 5 years I can get hubby to take a camping vacation and we can't hammock.

I found a pretty small one that looks like about the size and shape that a mutual friend (from Delaware) said is like what you used. It blew up when I let someone else try it. I don't think it was being abused, but I can't say it was handled as I intended, either. I need to find one like yours, I think. That, or see if your poly tube source will sell some more tubes.

I hope you are willing to share these sources, if you aren;t sworn to secrecy!

CamperMom

Hi CamperMom,

I had a bit of cancer removed from my bladder, again, the first of May this year. While doing some tests they also found cancer in my right kidney. They took it out the first of July. My old body just keeps healing so on with life. I am back to walking 6 to 8 miles most days and carrying my pack most of them.

Funny you would ask about the balloon bed. I was playing with the poly tube air mattress a few days ago. I looked for my balloon bed / kilt but it is hiding from me. I am hoping I can get out on the AT sometime in Oct and was thinking about something really light to sleep on. My pump is called the "Twistez" and and sold by "GAYLA IND, inc - Houston, TX". I bought mine at Michael's. The stock pump weight is 2.78 ounces. I cut mine down a bit and reduced its weigh but that may be more trouble than most would want to do.

Look toward the bottom of the page.

Gayla - Twistez

I have thought about calling our "mutual friend (from Delaware)" to see if he has any time for a hike the middle to the end of Oct. I haven't as I am not 100% sure I can go yet. I have a couple of follow-up exams the first and second of Oct. and if they go OK then I have till late Nov. to my next exam. I have thought about someplace like Harpers Ferry south. I would like to try a few days really light and see just how many miles per day my old body can make. Then back off the mileage and enjoy the terrain for as much time as I have left. I am not out for a race but a conditioning check. Sometimes you just got to see what you have left to work with.

I will call the person I was getting my Poly Tubes from Monday and see if he will still sell some. I bought a roll of 3 mil - 6" tubing but have not tried any of it yet. I went with the 3 mil as I thought it might be a bit stronger and it didn't come in 5" width.

The advantage of the poly tubing is that I could put down or other insulation in them for when the ground gets cold. I still have my Warmlight DAM and I am very happy with it.

I should start a new thread for the Poly Tube (Insulated) Air Mattress. I want to try one with synthetic insulation.